If you are dairy free, indeed you are likely seeking a tasty butter substitute. Or, perhaps you love to bake or cook and need alternatives for butter in your recipes. The great thing is that there are a plethora of delicious non-dairy butter substitutes available. Depending on your intended use for the butter substitute, you may wish to use different items. Here is a simple list of some butter substitutes.
For use as a spread there are many choices:
- Fruit-Puree butters
- Vegetable Oil spreads
- Coconut Oil spreads
- Margarine while not dairy, is not a healthy alternative due to the high content of transfat it contains.
- Our favorite butter alternative, because it tastes the best, in our opinion, is Earth Balance Buttery Spread. Delish!
- Olive oil is also a possibility that you can use for dipping or drizzling in lieu of a spread.
Extra virgin olive oil is a healthy and safe dairy-free butter substitute for cooking.
For baking, it can be a bit trickier to find substitutes that work like butter so experimentation is often required.
- Applesauce can usually be substituted for melted butter in baking.
- Lard can be substituted for butter in pie crusts.
- Cooking oils can typically be substituted in baking recipes.
- Coconut oil is often a great substitute in baking.
- You may wish to even experiment with “light tasting” (note, this is not light as in lower calorie or lower fat – rather simply light in terms of flavor) olive oil. This mild version of olive oil can be used in baking.
Ghee can be a butter substitute for those who are lactose intolerant. While ghee is from dairy, it contains less than one percent lactose and so it is usually tolerated just fine by people with lactose intolerance.