By Diane Kittle
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Carrot Cake
MAKES ONE 2-LAYER CAKE
Lighter and fluffier than most carrot cakes, this recipe delivers rich, spicy flavor.
5 large eggs*, room temperature
Â½ cup canola or other vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Blend
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans and lightly dust with gluten-free flour.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs, oil and sugar at medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and xanthan gum.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet batter and mix on medium-low speed just until blended, approximately 30 seconds. Fold in grated carrots, raisins and nuts (if desired) until combined.
5. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 60 to 75 minutes, depending on oven and pan size. Begin checking for doneness at 60 minutes. Cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pans for 20 minutes; then turn it out of the pans and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
*TIP This cake can be made egg free. Replace 5 large eggs with 9 tablespoons applesauce mixed with 3 teaspoons baking powder + 4 tablespoons warm water mixed with 1 tablespoon gluten-free egg replacer.
â€œCream Cheeseâ€ Frosting
MAKES ENOUGH FOR ONE 2-LAYER CAKE
Hereâ€™s a wonderful alternative to cream cheese frosting for those who can’t tolerate cow’s milk.
Â½ cup (1 stick) butter or dairy-free margarine or Spectrum Organic Shortening
9 ounces Chevre soft goat cheese or soy cream cheese, room temperature
6 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the margarine or shortening on medium-high speed until creamy, approximately 1 to 2 minutes for margarine and 4 minutes for shortening. Add the goat cheese and beat at medium-high speed, approximately 5 minutes or until creamy and smooth.
2. Add the powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract and beat at low speed until smooth. Once smooth, beat at medium speed for several more minutes until light and fluffy.
24 servings. Each serving of cake with frosting contains 227 calories, 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 44mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate,Â 1g fiber, 2g protein.
MAKES 2 CUPS
1 cup rice flour
Â½ cup tapioca starch/flour
Â½ cup cornstarch or potato starch
Thoroughly combine all ingredients. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until used.
From Living Without Magazine, April/May 2009