Casein (pronounced kay-seen) is a protein in milk. It make’s up about 80% of the cow’s milk and the other 20% is whey. Casein protein is extracted from the milk through ultra filtration, without the use of chemicals. This process increases the amount of bioactive milk peptides that support immune function as well as enhance muscle growth. Casein protein has an excellent amino acid profile and is primarily known as an extremely slow-digesting protein.
Casein is often the culprit in dairy allergies, intolerances or sensitivities. It is easy to simply blame the dairy product as a whole, but this is where we really sort out what it is that our bodies are reacting to negatively. Cheese, for example, has a high level of casein. The harder the cheese, the more casein.